Wednesday, July 27, 2005

What I'm reading and thanks to my husband


I'm on a book-buying freeze. Painful, yes, but I'm coping thanks only to the Tacoma Public Library and their on-line card catalog. I can search, renew, and place holds on loads of lovely books from the comfort of my house. So I found the newest Jasper Fforde book, "The Big Over Easy." It's the first in a new series, Nursery Crimes. As the library usually takes a while to get brand new books, I was surprised to find it in the catalog as "In Process" prior to the release date. Giving myself a high-five, I placed it on hold....and IT'S HERE! Jasper Fforde has been one of my favorite surprise finds. I picked up The Erye Affair from Borders on a whim. The cover and the title caught my eye, and the synopsis was quite intriguing. Even better, all four books in the Tuesday Next series have been innovative and entertaining. The books are impossible to tuck into a single category, and I think almost any reader would find them worthwhile.

And a word of thanks to my wonderful husband. We had a rather stressful scare yesterday, and the story will be told once the most affected parties have been debriefed. But without spilling details, I can brag about Kevin's calm handling of a crisis. I called him at work, he ran to my side (cheesy but accurate), and took control as I was losing mine. As I apologized to him in tears, blaming myself, he reassured me that it wasn't my fault. He never reprimanded me for my carelessness. And when I cried, "What I am going to do?" Kevin quietly said, "No, what are we going to do. We're a team, and we take care of this together."

Thanks Babe.

No comments: