This is not a holiday for which I have a grand fondness.
I'm not like one of those annoying Anti-Valentine's Day people, calling New Year's a "Johnny Walker" holiday and throwing ironic parties with only tea and cookies for refreshments. But I've just never warmed to the concept. Plus, my birthday is in TWO DAYS and that is much more important (to me, not so much to anybody else, who are all out prepping for their hangovers, those lushes).
So the last couple of years have been rather bland. Either I'm working or at my Mom's. Or Kevin is working. Or one of us is working tomorrow. Or I stay home pregnant/with Patrick/pregnant again while Kevin joins some friends at party central in Auburn. I'm not awake at midnight, and Kevin and I share our kiss around 9pm if we happen to be in the same city.
This year there was potential. Both of us are home tomorrow. Kevin got off work at 6pm. Get a sitter? Go to one of the many (ok, two) parties we were invited to?
Or put the kids to bed, put on our jammies, and putter around the kitchen while we poke on the internet?
It's 8:43pm as I type. Kevin is talking to me about Star Wars mythology. "...and then the Sith destroy the academy on Ossus." Once again, I will be asleep before midnight. But with my husband beside me, which makes 2011 a very good year.
3 comments:
Maybe we should let Kevin and John talk more...
Love it! :)
The Sith at Ossus... I love it! And I love your writing.
Post a Comment