Friday, March 10, 2006

I haven't written anything because my life is boring

And honestly, I'm a fan of boring at the moment. I've had the last three days off (and on call today whoo hoo), and have been working on some small deadlines. I hate deadlines, I'd rather read all my lovely books from the library. And this is easy shit I'm trying to do. I don't think grad school is in my near future.

But I did accomplish:
-Working on my taxes
-Paying bills
-Practicing The Sea Symphony (another bitchin' hard choral piece)
-Scheduling "appointments," like the eye doctor. Turns out I can't see far distances! Who knew? -No wonder Kevin was mad at me when I'd miss street signs. I always thought the SOB was driving too fast.
-Entertaining the dogs
-Cleaning the house

Kevin and I officially celebrated our anniversary yesterday. Embracing our inner senior citizen, we had the "early bird special" at Stanley and Seafort's! They call it "First Seating" but it's the old lady bargain dinner. And it was tasty. Salad, entree, and light dessert for $20! We had cocktails, mine was the Lavender Martini, wine with dinner, and joowry. I bought Kevin a titanium link bracelet and he got me two tone gold hoop earrings. It was so special to splurge a bit on each other. With us, every anniversary is the jewelry anniversary. I love family traditions. We ended the evening with drinks at the El Goucho bar listening to cheesy lounge music. Perfection.

Tonight is the opening of La Boheme, and it looks to be amazing. I watched the final dress rehearsal, smack in the middle of elementary school kids. My favorite moment was when this darling girl, with her multiple braids and pretty dress, turned to me and commented quite seriously, "I don't think they should have kissing in front of kids." I replied that that the kissing is more for the grown ups. She didn't buy it. But my ultimate favorite "What would Nancy do?" moment was right before the show started. The lights were down, the orchestra was starting, but the house was still quiet. Then I heard it.....crinkling candy wrappers. The teacher was about five seats to my right. I'd heard to talk to the young students about food in the theater. I think, "She must hear this." Turing to look at her, I see the girl sitting RIGHT NEXT TO HER opening her hot tamales. With the teacher's help. Now I'm pissed, and even more settling in my belief that people just don't know how to behave. I stare at this teacher, waiting for her to take control. Then I see her helping to unwrap said candy. At that moment I cheerfully channeled my mother, stared that lady down and whispered VERY LOUDLY: You Can't Eat in Here. Loud enough for all the students, teachers, and people surrounding her to know exactly who was the target.

She looked rather embarrassed, not to mention a little surprised. Good. She should know better. But she doesn't, because most people just don't know how to behave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed a lot reading this. Sorry about you inheriting some of my habits. Pretty soon you'll be going back to check if the iron is turned off!