Nancy came up to visit for the weekend and take us out for our "birthday dinner." This tradition started when my brother and I were in high school, and has evolved as we've grown older. Restaurants are nicer, spouses have joined us, and now family needs are slowly taking over. My sweet brother Dave (who turned 30!) picked a place suitable for both 88 year olds and 10 month olds. Kevin and I chose a pizza joint with a good kids menu and balloons. But it worked well, despite the less than fancy atmosphere.
Today we skipped church and headed to the zoo. Patrick pleased us all by sleeping in until 7:30! Then he didn't need a nap and was rather cranky for most of the evening. We appeased him with a trip to the mini-daycare at Fred Meyer for 30 minutes, allowing us to grocery shop in peace.
I'm afraid I'm getting less polite to all the strangers who ask me about my due date, is the baby coming any time, is it a boy or a girl, is it your first, what's the name, and blah blah blah. I'm rather tired of being treated like this information is public property, like I should be thrilled to talk with any ding-a-ling about my personal self. I pride myself on having good manners, but maybe I'll just cut myself some slack. I don't need to be rude, but I don't have to answer either.
However, I did accomplish (almost) everything on my to do list for week 35. This always makes me very happy.
4 comments:
It's OK not wanting to be public property ... there's just something about being pregnant that apparently entitles everyone to ask/share their opinion. Drove me nuts!
Hang in there, she'll be here soon enough and then all the questions will be directed towards baby :)
Great seeing you all this weekend!
I found your profile on FB, looking at GHS alumni. I'll send you a message thru your email there.
And strangers wanting to touch your belly is creepy. Unless it's me, your friendly L&D/ antepartum nurse....
I agree with you about all of the stranger questions.People need to mind their own business! I hope you told them that in those words exactly.
I'm thinking of you in these last weeks!
Just give them an insulted look and say "I'm NOT pregnant." Then they'll feel really embarassed.
Sure, it's a lie, but it's the best way to deal with jackass strangers who want to butt into your personal life.
Post a Comment