An old high school friend found me via Facebook, and she's also a Labor and Delivery nurse! How fun is that? I'm looking forward to hearing someday about how things work in her neck of the woods.
I was up at least once an hour last night, if not more, for a variety of reasons. Then Patrick wanted to snuggle at 3am, finally falling asleep at 4. While I'm not into co-sleeping for my own self, when it's just me in the bed it's not so bad having Patrick as well. And at 3am (since he goes to sleep in his own room just fine) I'm OK with the occasional sleeping anomaly. At least he slept for Kevin until 7am, making his way downstairs independently just fine! And they had a good day together, even making it to church!
Kevin was able to tackle quite a few chores today, which always puts me in the best mood. Even the bathroom got cleaned, and it was horrid. I get to start my week with a pretty clean house. That's the best gift ever.
In the meantime, I need to do a bit of research on appropriate discipline techniques for toddlers. I want the golden triad: effective, efficient, and consistent. But when he thinks it's all a game and laughs hysterically, that's when I think, "This is why parents beat their children." It's so hard to keep my cool and remember that he's not being defiant. But I do want to communicate to him that some behavior (like not listening to mommy) is not appropriate. If anybody has any book suggestions, I'm all for it.
3 comments:
Good luck with finding a discipline method that works. My oldest son used to giggle at us when we were "disciplining" him. Funny enough, the one thing that I said I would never do was the only thing that worked for him. 1 warning with a time-out in a kitchen chair for a repeat offense- 1 minute for every year of age. That worked for a couple years, then we had to start taking away priviledges. With my daughter, all we have to do is look at her sideways and she bursts into tears. It'll be interesting what works for the baby....
I'd love to tell you all about L&D in our world, and hear how it works for you. Anything specific you're interested in?
We have a great book you can borrow, it's called Raising Children Who Think for Themselves. It's all about logical consequences.
Oo, you could try Raising Your Spririted Child! I have a copy.
Post a Comment