Lots of adventures yesterday for the family. We took Patrick to the Washington Ren Faire and a friend's wedding in Seattle.
Naturally, we forgot the camera in the car both times.
Nancy had been up for necessary Grandma time the day before, so Kevin and I generously let her watch Patrick while we got ready in the morning. Kevin was in his foxy costume, and I wore a peasant-style skirt with a black tank top and my Gypsy Mama wrap. Kevin really wanted me to wear my costume. I told him that HE could attempt to breastfeed in a leather bodice, but I had no interest.
Patrick did great, slept almost the entire time except for a few snacks. We met up with some friends throughout the faire. Kevin was able to have guy-time in the ale house for a beer while I exchanged mommy-talk with another friend. We listened to music, visited the archery range where Kevin would be working the following day, and watched "Shakespeare's Bloody Bits" on a friend's spot-on recommendation. They also shared their yummy lunch with us! Chris is a lucky man, as his wife, Kristen, is a fab cook. The weather was perfection, cool and cloudy with a few sun breaks. As I can't be outside tanning all day this summer, I'm happy for cool weather that keeps Mommy, Patrick, and Puppydogs content.
Then off to Seattle for the wedding. Chris and Chani: PLU grads, involved in the arts. Kevin and Chris have worked together several times at TLT. We were very touched to be invited to their wedding. As I love other people's weddings, we were looking forward to enjoying it. It would also be a nice experiment with Patrick. I managed to find something decent to wear that I could also breastfeed in. Funny how fashion requirements have changed so dramatically since giving birth. A black cami with a lightweight purple knit sweater, black pants, and tall heels. I wore Patrick in a new black Hotsling from Annette B. Worked fantastically. However, Patrick was a stereotypical baby in that he was charming until the wedding began. Then he fussed. As screaming on the wedding video is for immediate family only, we enjoyed the lovely ceremony from outside the chapel.
The reception was amazing. Gorgeous reception space at the Fairview Club in downtown Seattle. Great food, open bar, appetizers passed around, decent DJ with nice music. Patrick grumped for a while again, had a short feed, then zonked out in the sling for the rest of the reception, about two hours. We had a nice time chatting with our table, the groomsmen/women and their dates. We knew one couple, but everybody else was really social. Is that part of getting older? The ability to small talk and make friendly, or was it just luck? I've also found that Patrick is a great conversation starter, especially with other parents. Lots of other small kids were running around, and I chatted with lots of mommies and grandmas about our kids. Even our table full of beautiful couples with no kids (lots of artists) asked nice questions about parenthood, quite sweet since it's probably the farthest thing from their minds.
It makes me very grateful that my girlfriends and I were able to keep a solid friendship going in the face of changing life-paths. Not always easy when we just weren't quite getting each other with new babies, job changes, husband problems, and money concerns. Now I'm so incredibly thankful to have such an amazing support system, and I only hope I can keep up with these fantastic women.
So today I'm on solo duty. Kevin is off playing Ren Faire. The dogs have been run, and I'm killing some time before bringing coffee to my wonderful girlfriend Val and her husband. Laundry is going, and maybe I'll get a nap in today. But it's OK if I don't, he's been sleeping pretty good the past few nights. We are down to one night feeding/changing, then up for good around 6-7am. Pure and total luck, and we'll see how long it lasts. I might not be so optimistic when he starts teething.
1 comment:
I don't think any of us can fully be prepared or understand the amazing ride that parenthood is until you're actually there. Even at 9 months pregnant it's still this enigma of a thing. Then there's the baby and everything you thought you knew and believed and were set on, well, it often goes right out the window. The ride from bliss to reality and back again throughout the beginning weeks, then months, then years, is a neverending rollercoaster. Full of ups and down, but well worth the ride. :)
Post a Comment